- 5.5-magnitude earthquake hits Tokyo(08:30)
Tokyo, June 24 (IANS) Japan's capital Tokyo and its surrounding regions were hit by a 5.5-magnitude earthquake on Monday, although no tsunami alert was issued and no significant damage has been reported so far.
- MP to run 'Save Water' campaign, 'Water Cell' formed(01:26)
Bhopal, June 24 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh government will run "Save Water" campaign with the suggestions and involvement of common people. A state level "Water Cell" has also been constituted for the purpose.
- 31 injured in China earthquake(15:34)
Beijing, June 23 (IANS) Thirty-one people were injured after a 5.4-magnitude earthquake jolted Gongxian County in China's Sichuan province, authorities said on Sunday.
- Veggies also transmit superbugs to human gut: Study(14:20)
San Francisco, June 23 (IANS) Not just animal meat but plant-based foods are also serving as vehicles for transmitting antibiotic-resistant bacteria to the gut microbiome of humans, warn researchers.
- Greenland could lose 4.5% of its ice by century end(11:54)
New York, June 23 (IANS) Greenland could lose 4.5 per cent of its ice, contributing up to 13 inches of sea level rise, by the end of this century if worldwide greenhouse gas emissions remain on their current trajectory, warns a new study.
- Poor living around Corbett reserve deprived of welfare funds (IANS SPECIAL)(19:44)
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Huge funds meant for the welfare of poor people living around Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve were allegedly diverted to the state treasury. Luxury resorts and hotels located around the tiger reserve, supposed to be taxed for eco-development, were allegedly obliged by officials to evade cess, a top wildlife officer has said.
- DMK protests, AIADMK seeks rain Gods' blessings(10:54)
Chennai, June 22 (IANS) Tamil Nadu's Opposition DMK on Saturday began protests across the state against the AIADMK government's failure to take prompt action to meet the state's water crisis. The ruling party officials, meanwhile, were holding yagnas in temples seeking God's blessings for the rains.
- Mild tremors in parts of Telangana(01:24)
Hyderabad, June 22 (IANS) Mild tremors were felt in Adilabad and Nirmal districts of Telangana and parts of neighbouring Maharashtra late Friday night.
- TN seeks Rs 1,000 cr package to counter agrarian distress(19:34)
Chennai/New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Deputy Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam on Friday asked the Central government to sanction Rs 1,000 crore to his state to augment irrigation structures in drought-prone areas like the one extended to Maharashtra.
- Wheat left to rot in Punjab, Haryana after bumper harvest(18:40)
By Vishal Gulati
Chandigarh, June 21 (IANS) Millions of tonnes of food grain are being stored in the open across the northern states of Punjab and Haryana, known as the "granaries of India", following a bumper wheat crop this season, due to lack of warehouse space.
- 'Make me Minister for Garbage', desperate BJP MLA tells Goa CM(15:38)
Panaji, June 21 (IANS) Desperately angling for a ministerial berth, Deputy Speaker and BJP MLA Michael Lobo on Friday urged Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant to appoint him as "Minister for Garbage" in order to resolve the coastal state's garbage disposal woes.
- Near term outlook for rural economy looks grim: Report(11:26)
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) The agrarian distress seems here to stay, owing to prevalent drought like situations in several states, near stagnant wage growth levels and signs of sluggish progress of monsoon, a recent report has said.